 Administrative / Suggestions / 997
Re: Geobra Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:23:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Johannes Koehler wrote:
Hello!

As you can see I'm talking about building with LEGO here rather than about
playing with Playmobil. Also Playmobil is not at all a clone brand of LEGO.
LEGO and Playmobil, though, have taken ideas from each other for many years,
being the most important toy brands in Europe. So a possible .playmobil group
doesn't belong under any .clone-brand group.

Bye
¬Jojo

I would support the idea of a Playmobil subgroup.
I'm active on both LUGNET and Playmoboard, and I see a distinctive difference
between the two communities:
LEGO is about building, so LUGNET is dominated by male engineers.
LUGNET is American, and is dominated by Americans.
Playmobil in about playing, not building, so Playmoboard is dominated by playful
people in all ages, and with about 50/50 males/females.
Playmoboard is European (with a consirable ratio of American members), and is a
lot more open-minded and friendly than LUGNET, also in the off-topic forum.

I've been posting Playmobil playscapes with LEGO elements on Playmoboard, and
got only positive feed-back; but using one single Playmobil bottle (perfectly
fitting over a LEGO stud) in a LEGO set-up caused me nothing but trouble.

LUGNET was one of reasons I started in honest to collect and build with LEGO,
but now LUGNET is one of the reasons my interest in LEGO has dwindled; the
increasing number of flame wars and negative posts has scared me off. I used to
open LUGNET Newsboard as the first thing everytime I got on the net; now it can
be weeks between my visits there, and I have unsubscribed to all newsgroups.

But if a hybrid Playmobil/LEGO group was created here, maybe my interest in
LUGNET (and LEGO) would be hightened again.

Arne, Copenhagen