 Administrative / Suggestions / 803
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:13:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, James Brown wrote:
Replying to this, because I haven't actually seen anyone bring up one
of Todd's original reasons(1):

NNTP authentication does not prevent spoofing your ID for any given
message, it just allows or prevents access to the server.  Some
[expletive deleted] person who was spoofing ID's (via NNTP, if I recall,
but I might be mistaken) is the reason authentication became necessary
in the first place.  Lugnet operated on a trust system until that trust
was violated.  Sucks for the rest of us, but there ya go.

James

1: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=642
...top hit in a search of the admin newsgroups for "Lehman password
NNTP", BTW

Thanks for the link.  I like this part, "I'd like to revisit this in
a month or two... --Todd"

Todd Months aren't always under 31 days each.

So maybe this is a valid topic for discussion.

Nobody said it wasn't! Rereading what Todd said in that post I don't see how a
standard NNTP client would necessarily supply the authentication stuff so I'm
not sure I see how it would help. Can standard NNTP clients be coerced into
adding additional header tags or something?

Anyhow, I don't know why I didn't just do the search myself.  Laziness
I suppose.  I'm sorry, I swear I'll never do it again.

Oh relax... Heck, probably we all could be faulted for not doing the search
needed. Thanks JB for dredging.

Does that get
me off the hook so I don't have to step into .debate with Larry?  My
vocabulary just isn't up to that.  I mean, what the heck is a straw
dog, anyways?

Like a straw man but much easier to knock down.

Besides, I think Larry really just wants RM back...

That smarts, Don. I even wished you a happy T-day back and everything. ...  :-)

"Want RM back?"... but really, no.

++Lar (back from gorging, trying to shake off tryptophan)