 Administrative / Suggestions / 801
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:33:28 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Neb Okla wrote:
I don't want to use the web client.  It's clunky.

With NNTP, I can read posts offline, choose my NNTP client (thus finding a
UI that is right for me), etc.

Thanks for the info though.  Now I know that throwing $10 at lugnet won't
fix the problem.

I skimmed the discussions below.

I also know that Lugnet members have a username and password.  One would
wonder then why the NNTP service simply doesn't require a user to login?

Replying to this, because I haven't actually seen anyone bring up one of Todd's
original reasons(1):

NNTP authentication does not prevent spoofing your ID for any given message, it
just allows or prevents access to the server.  Some [expletive deleted] person
who was spoofing ID's (via NNTP, if I recall, but I might be mistaken) is the
reason authentication became necessary in the first place.  Lugnet operated on a
trust system until that trust was violated.  Sucks for the rest of us, but there
ya go.

James

1: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=642
...top hit in a search of the admin newsgroups for "Lehman password NNTP", BTW