 Administrative / Suggestions / 802
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:39:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, James Brown wrote:
Replying to this, because I haven't actually seen anyone bring up one
of Todd's original reasons(1):

NNTP authentication does not prevent spoofing your ID for any given
message, it just allows or prevents access to the server.  Some
[expletive deleted] person who was spoofing ID's (via NNTP, if I recall,
but I might be mistaken) is the reason authentication became necessary
in the first place.  Lugnet operated on a trust system until that trust
was violated.  Sucks for the rest of us, but there ya go.

James

1: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=642
...top hit in a search of the admin newsgroups for "Lehman password
NNTP", BTW

Thanks for the link.  I like this part, "I'd like to revisit this in
a month or two... --Todd"

So maybe this is a valid topic for discussion.

Anyhow, I don't know why I didn't just do the search myself.  Laziness
I suppose.  I'm sorry, I swear I'll never do it again.  Does that get
me off the hook so I don't have to step into .debate with Larry?  My
vocabulary just isn't up to that.  I mean, what the heck is a straw
dog, anyways?  Besides, I think Larry really just wants RM back...

Don