 Administrative / Suggestions / 455
Re: Allow one to change one's vote
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 23:14:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:
If I change my mind about something I would like to be able to change
my vote,

Me too!  :-)

like I can when rating sets in the Lugnet guide.  But some
polls shouldn't allow that.  So make it an option for the person
creating the poll as to whether or not to permit changing one's mind.

What if all the polls let you change your mind up until the poll was closed by
its creator/owner?

The reason that the choices aren't recorded currently is for privacy reasons.
In order to let you change your mind, it has to have a record of what you
chose earlier, so that it can subtract it from the tally and re-tally your
new choices.  I thought that making the design such that choices were never
recorded would strike a fair compromise between usability and privacy.

I dunno, would it bother you if all your personal poll selections were
stored?  If the system were hacked into, that information could theoretically
be gotten at.

--Todd

Why not keep the anonymity as an option for creating a poll, but if it is
not chosen then the results are stored and allowed to be updated.

Jude