 Administrative / Suggestions / 17
Re: Some suggestions regarding post authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:04:24 GMT

"Daniel Crichton" <danielc@helio.co.uk> writes:
4. Modify the NNTP server to support the AUTHINFO command, where users
   can submit their LUGNET member number and password to authenticate
   themselves.  Once the authentication has occurred, accept all posts
   from that user where the "From:" line matches the LUGNET member
   number.

I just had to post a "me too" reply. I think these suggestions are great,
and would make life much easier for those of us who prefer to post via NNTP.
I guess the only concern with 4 is that the name and password would be
passed in clear text so poses a risk, [...]

When you log in to LUGNET's web server, the username and password are
passed in clear text.  It's no different than NNTP.

--Bill.