 Administrative / Suggestions / 14
Re: Some suggestions regarding post authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:31:30 GMT

"William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message

Here are some ideas for making the authentication system easier to use:

1. Add a web page where we can view all "currently pending" messages.
   It should have the usual "Brief | Compact | All" options, with the
   default being "Brief".  By each one have checkboxes for approve,
   defer, reject, etc. just like in the e-mails.  This solves two
   problems:
    A. After posting several messages, I can go to a single page to
       approve all of them, rather than individually reply to each of
       the emails with the [x].
    B. If I accidentally delete or never receive an e-mail I still
       have a way to find a message that needs approving.

2. Add support for PGP-signed messages.

3. Allow us to specify the IP address we connect from (for those of us
   with static IP's) so that all NNTP traffic from that IP by that
   user will be automatically accepted.

4. Modify the NNTP server to support the AUTHINFO command, where users
   can submit their LUGNET member number and password to authenticate
   themselves.  Once the authentication has occurred, accept all posts
   from that user where the "From:" line matches the LUGNET member
   number.

--Bill.

I just had to post a "me too" reply. I think these suggestions are great,
and would make life much easier for those of us who prefer to post via NNTP.
I guess the only concern with 4 is that the name and password would be
passed in clear text so poses a risk, and so long as 3 wouldn't reject a
posting made from a different IP address but default back to the mail
authentication I'd be happy (I have a fixed IP at work where I normally post
most of my messages from, and a DSL connection at home without a fixed IP
where I also sometimes post from).

Dan