 Administrative / Suggestions / 21
Re: Some suggestions regarding post authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:10:39 GMT

"William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message

When you log in to LUGNET's web server, the username and password are
passed in clear text.  It's no different than NNTP.

True, but you log in once and then a cookie id is used to track you through
the site (I don't want to start a discussion on the merits of cookies - I
personally love cookies when it comes to passing just a session id, that how
many of my web sites work). With NNTP plain text auth the name and password
are passed on every connection to the news server - so if you NNTP reader
doesn't hold the connection open then the auth details are passed every time
you download a message to read and every time you post a message. The
likelihood of anyone obtaining the details is extremely remote, but I
thought I'd mention it as someone always does (I run a few e-commerce sites
so I know how paranoid some people can be about passwords).

Dan