 Administrative / Suggestions / 162
Re: Marketplace / BrickShops was:[Charter Change for market.buy-sell-trade]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:40:13 GMT

http://www.baseplate.com/temp/lugnet/market-brickshops.gif

Regarding above link, it has been pointed out that I should explain.. the
gray spaces in boxes would be other ads. their content is omitted for
brevity. same with the store names as authors after message healines. Only
two stores have been indicated.

Those time stamps are intentional however, to show that the two messaging
areas are being updated simultaneously, er.. I guess what I mean is, they're
working independantly.

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:
"LUGNET Admin" <suz@lugnet.com> writes:
[...]
In our case, I'd want to sell this Marketplace adspace by a fairly long
subscription (6 mos?) With any changes to the ad itself being expensive.
This discourages someone from having like 20 ads and changing them
everyother day. Those folks would be better off with something more like a
classified ad.

I think 6 months is a bit extreme, especially to start with.  I would
suggest 1 month as a minimum, but you can buy longer time periods for
a slightly better price.

yeah, that makes sense.

Perhaps a listing fee plus a monthly fee, so
that a multi-month ad ends up costing less per month than a 1-month
ad.  If you want to change it, you just pay the listing fee again.

like a renewal rate?

Would each ad get a fixed location for the entire period it runs, or
would you be doing the random rotation of ads (as is more common on
the Internet)?

I would guess the latter. but this is still an open ended idea.

I think that people with BrickLink shops will want to change their ads
much more frequently than every 6 months, to announce sales and new
inventory.

Well, in my mock-up, that's what the central area is for in each of the
market 'squares'. It's an actual newsposting area. Like a page within a
page, where each ten or so vendors get a posting area of their own.

Their posts would be announcements only. So, there'd be no re:discussion in
the square. But visitors could read the headlines of announcements and, if
interested, hear more of the announcement by clicking on the message title.
Or they could click on the nearby ad to go straight to the shop's webpage
(outside LUGNET).

So, the blocky ads are more like a directory listing. Like those ads in the
phone book yellow pages. The 'action' happens in the center.

If you could imagine (in real-life)... shopping in an area, outside, where
there are rings of vendor carts, the carts' signs would be up all around
you. You could listen to the noise of the sellers hollaring to you. They may
be shouting about today's catch or some specialty of theirs. They'd be
competing for your attention - even lowering each others' prices (the way
neighboring gas stations do - ping-ponging).[1]

So. Anyway, this was the idea I had. in general, how does it sound?

I'm curious if anyone's seen places like this on the 'net.

It may be impossible to impliment successfully, due to web pages' physical
constraints, etc. Probably could have only, like, two of these market
squares per web page.

Oh! I should underline the fact that this would all happen under our
subdomain of market.lugnet.com. It would be a brand new project. Its being a
new area is why the mock-up has green coloring.[2]

Also, consider adding some sort of coupon-like functionality, perhaps?
Mention this ad and get 5% off or a free Jar-Jar or Timmy minifig,
your choice.

yes! that's be cool.

Individual Bricklink stores vs Bricklink itself, for instance...

Sticking with magazine methodology, I'd imagine BrickLink's advertising
appearing elsewhere on the site, and/or BrickLink taking out a bulk sum of
marketplace ads on behalf of its users and reselling it (privately) to them
at a discount (in comparison with LUGNET's regular marketplace rates). This
sometimes happens when a site like BrickLink wants its 'product' to speak
for itself.All these simple, similar-looking, small ads would appear ganged
together with/as a BrickLink ad. This situation has the obvious advantage
(for me) of leaving determinations up to the other party.

Think of BrickLink as being a shopping mall.  The mall itself might
open an ad in a magazine, to encourage shoppers to "come on down" and
list some of the more high-profile stores in the mall (who would help
pay for the ad, as you describe).  But also, individual stores would
be free to take out their own ads, whether they are in that mall or
not.  It would probably cost less for a BrickLink shop to advertise as
part of the BrickLink.com ad than to have their own, naturally.

yes. this is what I was thinking too.
Keeping that analogy, the mall itself has it's own directory listing and
sometimes sells adspace right in the paths of their pedestrians. But what
I'm suggesting would encompass all the malls and all the Mom and Pop stores.

or like I have my own custom kits website AND a Bricklink parts store, I'd
rather see those treated as 2 separate stores.

me too.

But do you think there's any danger in the visitor seeing your 2 stores on
equal footing? that is, they can't tell that your ad for a BL store is at
BL, and your other isn't? As a visitor, would you want to know?

Does it matter?

personally, I don't think so.

BL is just a hosting service for various shops, not a
shop itself.  Would you expect eBay vendors to only advertise as part
of an ad taken out by eBay itself?

no.

I think in advertising the rule is, whatever your ad-buyers want to
pay for is just fine, as long as it isn't offensive or fraudulent or
something.  Also, if you exercise too much editorial control you may
be at risk for some liability in case of fraud or other bad things
happening.  IANAL however.

I'd certainly want to keep my nose out of anything like censoring content,
if that's what you mean. I'd want as few rules as possible.

-Suz

[1] In which case, it'd make sense for competing advertisers to appear near
one another (a service to the shopper anyway, IMO). Natural groupings would
probably be somehow encouraged by me, but not 'enforced'. Again, going for
as few rules as possible.

[2] guide.lugnet.com is yellow, news.lugnet.com is blue, and (someday)
members.lugnet.com will be red.