 Administrative / Suggestions / 1429
Re: Post preview screen behaving strangely?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:36:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
Since I switched to Firefox 1.0 the other day I've noticed that when I preview a
post, the preview text box is a lot narrower than the entry box, casuing the
preview to be wrapped before the end of each line. And it only seems to happen
when I'm replying to another post. Messages still post OK, but the preview
layout is totally different than what eventually gets posted.

I guess this is a browser issue, as IE still seems to display it correctly. So I
dunno how easy it is to look into.

ROSCO

In Firefox 1.5 this doesn't happen. I've tried with Firefox 1.0 and was able to
reproduce the mistake. Well, since the whole preview box is as wide as the
subject line, I thought of a missing WIDTH-attribute in one of the TABLE- or
TD-tags (whole box is nested tables). Though the attribute is optional, missing
ones can cause such mistakes, especially if there are nearly all of them are
missing all over the tables. But it wasn't the source of error :-(

Weird: By clicking the "refresh"-button, the preview is first working then again
not, with a chance of 50:50 to get the correct preview. Even more weird:
Comparing the source code of a wrong display with the source code of a correct
one, shows EXACTLY the same page reproduction.

Also: As soon as changing the subject text by at least 1 character, the preview
is also working correctly.

I'm still pretty sure it has something to do with cell- or table-width, in
combination with a tiny FireFox bug, provoked by surrounding code. But I quit on
this by now, since with the current HTML structure, this would be trial and
error over different mods for hours AND the doubtful template is used for all
views of messages, not only the preview box. So correcting it could cause errors
at other places or with another browser.

Wow! Thanks for looking into this Rene, but I think you made the right decision
- it has worked fine since I upgraded to 1.5 some time ago, and I forgot to
revisit this thread. Anyone still using 1.0 deserves to have some weird
behaviour ;)

ROSCO