 Administrative / Suggestions / 1351
Re: Please consider fixing FTX...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 20:27:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Ah, yes--now I see. I manually numbered my list of sage suggestions without realizing that an FTX option was available.

Out of curiosity, when you wrote the post, how did you add in the newlines? That is, when I’m writing a post in FTX, I almost NEVER use the ¬ character for newlines. Instead, I forget. This causes problems like this:

Pieces That Are Awesome: - 2x4 Chrome Bricks - Pitchforks - White Garage Doors - Classic Space Torsos

So, that was SUPPOSED to be a list. But I forgot to add ¬ after each line. So FTX just puts it all onto one line. This would work just great for plain text viewers, but NOT for FTX. For both FTX and plain text to look ok, I SHOULD have written:

Pieces That Are Awesome:
- 2x4 Chrome Bricks
- Pitchforks
- White Garage Doors
- Classic Space Torsos

Now, THAT shows up relatively as I intended (minus the leading space before each minus sign, which is also what makes that not recognized as a decreasing FTX list). But the way that you wrote your earlier post appears to have been:

Pieces That Are Awesome:
- 2x4 Chrome Bricks
- Pitchforks
- White Garage Doors
- Classic Space Torsos

Which still looks fine in FTX, but is now rather unreadable in plain text, since it’s now on ONE line of plain text. However, did you actually write your whole post like that? IE, without “normal” newlines? Just asking since it would seem that writing that post without ever hitting the “enter” button seems oddly difficult-- and if you used some other method that’s doing some sort of conversion, maybe that conversion should be modified to include both an FTX and a normal newline, for the sake of readability.

DaveE