 Administrative / Suggestions / 1343
Re: Please consider fixing FTX...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 19:09:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Dan Boger wrote:
I do agree that FTX needs to degrade much more nicely into plain text
than it does.  If we change FTX though, we'll need to think of what to
do with older FTX posts.

I don't think I'd change FTX-- I think I'd vote for an FTX->plain text
converter, and run that on any FTX posts. Then, when someone requests the post
via NNTP or SMTP, that's the post they get.

It would probably do things like:
- remove square & curly brackets that would be FTX-interpreted as bold or
italics
- turn the FTX newline character into an actual newline
- remove <> characters around links & images
- etc, for true type, bulleted lists, indenting, etc

Not sure what to do with tables.

DaveE