 Administrative / Suggestions / 114
113  |  115
Subject:
change password & lost password
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:29:58 GMT

Almost every website that uses passwords has an ability to change the
password, and a "Forgot my password" link on the login screen.  LUGNET
doesn't (that I can find, anyway).  I think this is a serious
shortcoming, since the only way to get a password reset involves
having it be sent by the admins in plaintext e-mail, which is very
poor security.

The change password option should be visible on the user's 'edit my
profile' page, and should require re-entering the old password.

The "forgot my password" link should appear on the login page.  If you
click it, it should take you to a page where you can enter your member
number (if you forgot *that*, then maybe a way to search by e-mail
address or real name?).  The most secure method that I'm aware of
involves sending an e-mail to the user with a special URL that they
can then visit to enter a new password.  Once they have done so, that
special URL is no longer valid.  This way the password is never sent
in e-mail.

--Bill.