 Administrative / Suggestions / 118
Re: change password & lost password
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 01:28:08 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> writes:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:
The "forgot my password" link should appear on the login page.  If you
click it, it should take you to a page where you can enter your member
number (if you forgot *that*, then maybe a way to search by e-mail
address or real name?).  The most secure method that I'm aware of
involves sending an e-mail to the user with a special URL that they
can then visit to enter a new password.  Once they have done so, that
special URL is no longer valid.  This way the password is never sent
in e-mail.

How is sending a URL better than sending a password?  I assume that once you
get a new password in the mail, the first thing you do is change it anyway,
right?  So what's the difference?

Note that when I wrote that, I didn't know you *could* change the
password on LUGNET.  I had previously searched for a "change password"
link without success.

But the URL is only good for a limited time; if you want to have it
send a password in e-mail, I would suggest that it make changing the
password mandatory immediately upon its first use.

PS.  I agree that sending passwords in plaintext is bad, btw.

In particular, sending the *existing* password is very bad.  Many
people (even though they shouldn't) use the same passwords for
multiple web sites.  If the LUGNET password is one of these, then
they'd have to change their password for other sites as well.

And anyway, the server shouldn't store the plaintext password at all -
it should store a one-way encrypted (such as MD5) version.  If someone
hacked LUGNET, they'd have all these passwords.  I guarantee at least
one person has the same password for LUGNET and for other web sites,
and that hacker could then use that information to get into those
accounts.

--Bill.