 Administrative / Suggestions / 1004
    Top stories threshold —Ross Crawford
   Please consider adjusting the spotlight threshold for including posts in the top stories list. It seems to me with such a large membership (and growing fast), that the current threshold is way too low, resulting in more stories making it to the list (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —Leonard Hoffman
   (...) I think the Top Stories function works on just evaluating the Top 10 spotlighted posts. If no one spotlights anything, then a post where the author spotlights himself could make it to the Top Stories page. It might be a good idea to make it so (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —Ross Crawford
   (...) You could be right. But a higher threshold would encourage more people to spotlight the on-topic posts, in order to get them in the top stories. You can investigate how adjusting the threshold might affect the results here (URL) I'm pretty (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold Todd Lehman
   (...) Correct. Crossweighted by age, so that newer items are generally preferred over older items. You'll see something climb up the list as more and more people spotlight it, then fall as it ages. (...) not showing any more in that particular (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —Alfred Speredelozzi
   (...) Hey, thanks for the explanation. Do you think it would be wise to give some automatic points to lugnet.build? I only say this because so many people (myslef included, really) say they would rather see MOCs in the top stories list rather than (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —Mark Rideout
   (...) I would rather see the spotlight to honor my filter settings personally. Can that be done? -mark (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —Duane Hess
     (...) I will add my "me too" to this. I would love for the highlights to represent my skip filter settings. -Duane (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —David Eaton
     (...) I believe in the past, Todd has explained that the spotlight on the *front* page of LUGNET cannot easily reflect someone's personal filter settings, since that page is actually a flat HTML page that gets refreshed every few minutes (saves some (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

        Re: Top stories threshold —Dan Boger
   (...) AFAIK, the spotlight is calculated once an hour. That saves the server a lot of processing each time someone hits the front page (which is usually a major part of any site's traffic). But since that makes the spotlight "static" content, it (...) (20 years ago, 21-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)