 Administrative / Suggestions / 1015
Re: Top stories threshold
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:05:00 GMT

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:22:10PM +0000, Mark Rideout wrote:
I would rather see the spotlight to honor my filter settings
personally. Can that be done?

AFAIK, the spotlight is calculated once an hour.  That saves the server a lot of
processing each time someone hits the front page (which is usually a major part
of any site's traffic).  But since that makes the spotlight "static" content, it
can't be adjusted on the fly to member's filter settings.

Now, in theory, it could be possible to check if a filter is set - then, if
there is none, show the static content, but if there is a filter, dynamically
generate the spotlight.  I'd expect it might even be worth caching the dynamic
content, since many members would have similar filters set.

So like most anything else, IJAMOP :)  (it's just a matter of programming).

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com