 Administrative / Suggestions / 1007
Re: Top stories threshold
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
I think the Top Stories function works on just evaluating the Top 10
spotlighted posts.

Correct.  Crossweighted by age, so that newer items are generally
preferred over older items.  You'll see something climb up the list as
more and more people spotlight it, then fall as it ages.

You could be right. But a higher threshold would encourage more people
to spotlight the on-topic posts, in order to get them in the top
stories. You can investigate how adjusting the threshold might affect
the results here
http://www.lugnet.com/spotlight.cgi

The threshold there only specifies how far down (from 100) to go before
not showing any more in that particular listing.  The spotlight list on
the main page (and other sidebars) is always 10 items.

BTW I'm pretty sure the off-topic tree is already excluded from the top
stories.

Nope, but they are given an automatic score of -100 (which is equivalent
to two negative "votes").  Of course, there isn't actually such a thing
as a negative vote -- only 0 (no opinion), 75 (highlight), and 100
(spotlight) -- but since it's just math internally, it ends up just being
a numbers game.

Everything in .admin is also given a -100.  Everything in an announcement
group is given an automatic +200.

--Todd