 Administrative / NNTP / 498
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:15:54 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:

Given what I know of Brad, I find it difficult to picture him going home at
night and puzzling over the best way to shape up his MOC.

Given what I know of Brad, I don't find it difficult at all. Not in the
slightest. Maybe you don't know him that well. Or maybe you're a better
judge of people, even with less data to go on, than I am. I don't think Brad
really wants his AFOLness bandied about which is why he didn't make a big
deal about it and why I let it slide the first time you brought it up. (I
confess, I was talking about Jake and Tomas and Ashley (who doesn't work for
LD) rather than Brad)

Gah.  Fine.  I'll concede the point on all four of them.  It makes no
difference to my real point- which is that the (possibly temporary, until a
workaround is designed/found) inconvenience of four people is nothing compared
to the strengthening of the core values of a community of 950+ members and
countless (unless Todd wants to share it) non-member posters.

Gee, I'm glad my inconvennience doesn't matter, nor Larry's, nor anyone
else who thinks it's going to be a pain to find the official answers to
questions (should they ever come under the new world order)....

Perhaps I should switch to exclusive web viewing of Lugnet. Of course my
links pages will stop getting updated since I won't have a trivial way
to mark a post as "come back to this one later" (my secret technique for
this is to mark it unread, something modern viewers make pretty trivial,
but a secret I started using more than 10 years ago with rn - I wonder
how many modern newsreader programmers would cringe at my regularly
pulling .newsrc up in an editor...), but then who cares (actually at
least a couple people care - too bad someone else hasn't been inspired
to do the same for some of the other groups, I'd love to see a complete
trains index, but I'm over 5000 posts behind there, I'm not even sure
when I'll catch up on the thousand or so castle posts).

In a way it's kind of funny how lugnet is so compartmentalized, yet when
I use the web interface, it's just treated as one big happy single
newsgroup (I rarely step into the individual message areas except to
narrow down a search).

Hmm, if I end up writing my newsreader like interface for the web, I
might even make it keep it's .newsrc out on the web for convenient use
from anywhere. My indexing job would be a lot easier if I could have the
same list of read/unread posts at home and at work (even if I only
edited the links pages in one place, I could still leave as read the
non-interesting posts). But, this project will probably never get off
the ground, I just don't have the time.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com