 Administrative / NNTP / 494
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:

Given what I know of Brad, I find it difficult to picture him going home at
night and puzzling over the best way to shape up his MOC.

Given what I know of Brad, I don't find it difficult at all. Not in the
slightest. Maybe you don't know him that well. Or maybe you're a better
judge of people, even with less data to go on, than I am. I don't think Brad
really wants his AFOLness bandied about which is why he didn't make a big
deal about it and why I let it slide the first time you brought it up. (I
confess, I was talking about Jake and Tomas and Ashley (who doesn't work for
LD) rather than Brad)

Gah.  Fine.  I'll concede the point on all four of them.  It makes no
difference to my real point- which is that the (possibly temporary, until a
workaround is designed/found) inconvenience of four people is nothing compared
to the strengthening of the core values of a community of 950+ members and
countless (unless Todd wants to share it) non-member posters.

I work for an internet sevice provider.  I like the internet.  Were I in a
customer-facing part of the organisation, I would certainly make like I
thought the internet was the best thing since man created fire.

It wouldn't make me a "Fan of the Internet" though.

If you're working at an ISP and you're *not* a Fan of the Internet, consider
a different line of work. But I think you are a fan.

I would say that I think the Internet is an important invention, one which will
probably change the world at least as much as the moveable type printing press
(in time).

I would not say I was a "fan" of the internet in the same way that I am a "fan"
of LEGO, Star Wars, Guinness, Shane MacGowan, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, The
Authority, the Coen brothers, etc.

Not all companies employ only people who like their product. (Duh!) But
consider how much nicer a world this would be if that was a requirement for
employment. (for one thing, the tobacco companies would all shrivel up as
their workers all died)

Heh!  True. :D

eric