 Administrative / NNTP / 423
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:34:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Kingsley writes:
I totally disagree.  That post has no place in .trains IMHO.  It was a
marketing post and just like I agree with .market posts not being in the >>theme groups I agree that direct LEGO marketing posts don't belong in the >>theme groups.
So you are saying the train people would not be interested in this post? It
is about trains so, according to the TOS, it belongs in the trains group. I
do not see how it is purley marketing - they are not trying to sell us
anything, it is a free contest - is that marketing? They do not have to try
to sell us Lego - if we did not know what lego was and did not like lego -
then we would not be here. So is it marketing?

xpost to lego.direct, so employees can reply.

Eric -
I have mixed feelings about your statement, and I'm sure there are people on
both extremes.
Now thats the understatment of the day! ;)

I think its great that LEGO is posting their stuff here,
But from the reaction, it looks like Eric among others do not want them
posting here and are offended by their presence here - but why?

There's been a lot of attitudes expressed here towards keeping LUGNET 'pure'
of LEGO's marketing.
But like I said - they are not trying to sell us anything and not trying to
push an unwanted product upon us.

It would be great to sometime have an open forum about this, or a survey put
out by LUGNET, or something, and then a statement to clarify where the
relationship stands, what's ok and what's off-limits, etc.

A lot of people (myself included) sometimes get confused as to how welcome
LEGO is here.  There's a lot of emotions that have shown recently towards
LEGO, good, bad, and ugly.  I think working together is key, but both sides
need to understand each other so we don't step on each others' toes, or
start going where we're not welcome.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me - but if Lego 'steps on your toes' by posting here, then
maybe, just maybe you are too easily offended.

Mark
Who is still waiting for an example of how Lego 'clutters' up threads.