 Administrative / NNTP / 426
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:20:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Kingsley writes:
I totally disagree.  That post has no place in .trains IMHO.  It was a
marketing post and just like I agree with .market posts not being in the
theme groups I agree that direct LEGO marketing posts don't belong in the
theme groups.
So you are saying the train people would not be interested in this post? It
is about trains so, according to the TOS, it belongs in the trains group. I
do not see how it is purley marketing - they are not trying to sell us
anything, it is a free contest - is that marketing? They do not have to try
to sell us Lego - if we did not know what lego was and did not like lego -
then we would not be here. So is it marketing?

First, yes train folks would be interested.  Just as they would be interested
if someone had a MetroLiner for sale, that doesn't mean the post should be in
.trains .

Second, it is purley marketing, the contest is free to join but don't think
LEGO is doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  It is all to promote
sales of trains and/or bulk bricks.  The better the models that are submitted
then the better stuff they can post which raises the interest in trains for the
more casual fan that isn't here.  Believe me it is all about making money for
LEGO.

I think its great that LEGO is posting their stuff here,
But from the reaction, it looks like Eric among others do not want them
posting here and are offended by their presence here - but why?

Now your putting words in my mouth and I don't like it.  I never said I was
"offended by LEGO's presence here" all I said was that a marketing post was not
appropriate for a themed group.  I love the fact that LEGO posts to LUGNET.  I
just don't want to sift through LEGO marketing in themed groups.  If LEGO wants
to market things here they have a place for it and I can look in those groups.

There's been a lot of attitudes expressed here towards keeping LUGNET 'pure'
of LEGO's marketing.
But like I said - they are not trying to sell us anything and not trying to
push an unwanted product upon us.

But in the end it is all about making money, whether it is from us or other
more casual fans.

Eric Kingsley