 Administrative / NNTP / 1589
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   There have always been bad parents, and there always will be bad parents. But that doesn’t release Todd from choosing to make LUGNET completely kid-safe IMO

Neither does it obligate him. Parents need to start taking paying attention to what their kids are viewing online, and every attempt to make the internet kid-safe only reinforces their false beliefs that there is nothing that their kids can access that is not appropriate for them.

   Exactly. Which is why we all need to take the responsibility on ourselves to make it that way.

The TOS are as restrictive as they probably should be, and they do not prohibit LGBTs from announcing their lifestyle anymore than they prevent all of us heteros from announcing ours. Everything you keep saying suggests that you think a guy saying he has a boyfriend equates with vivid descriptions of bedroom activities, while a guy saying he has a girlfriend can be given the assumption of chastity. It’s simply not true. That’s not the world we live in. TV characters on the more conservative broadcast networks are quite often shown in scenes that imply graphic situations are going on off-camera. People on LUGNET mention their kids all the time (and, when you really think about it, that’s about the clearest indication you can give that you’ve “got some” at some point without blatantly stating it).