 Administrative / NNTP / 1590
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:57:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   Yeah, there will always be exceptions WRT to maturity below the age of 18 (and above, for that matter!), but 18 happens to be really convenient because every member stated truthfully that they were 18 or older when they signed up for LUGNET, so it would seem to me that that would make it easier logistically to impliment an adults-only section (though I admit that that may not actually be the case).

Firstly, yes, that would more-or-less work for existing usership, but new users would be free to lie all they want. Second, everything I’ve seen says that making a pointedly “adults only” section is just going to make the situation worse, as far as parents finding the content objectionable for underage viewing is concerned.