 Administrative / NNTP / 1591
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   Actually, it is my whole argument:-) I know that 18 is rather an arbitrary number, but here in the US it is considered to be THE age at which adulthood begins legally (except to drink alcohol, but that is another topic altogether)

Or to get married. Or for consent. Or, often, to be tried and punished as an adult. And lets not forget that most kids are officially taught sex-ed as early as jr. high, so that puts them in their early teens. Of course, “gay” gets thrown around as an insult in early grade school, so clearly kids are learning that same-sex relationships exist much earlier than when they turn 18 and suddenly become able to comprehend the world.

Let’s also not forget that as long as the TOS are followed, nothing graphic will ever be posted in .LGBT, or anywhere on LUGNET, for that matter. It is not Todd’s job to regulate this site based on what your imagination conjures up, however vivid it may be. An artist named Boris Vallejo once received a lot of flak from people like you for releasing a painting showing a winged centaur holding a lithe, scantily clad young woman pressed up against the front of his body, on the basis that it was portraying a “graphic and violent sexual act”. Noone bothered to think of the fact that a centaur has a horse’s body, and therefore a horse’s “equipment”, so everything bad and objectionable about the painting was only what they were bringing to the table. This is the same situation. If you’re objecting to the fact that someone openly admits to being gay on the basis of what you “know” is taking place in his bedroom...that’s your fault, not his. If you keep walking around viewing the world through evil-colored glasses, you’ll never be able to get beyond seeing everyone and everything as evil, so you’ll never get a chance to experience these people as people, and get to know them on a personal basis (though, I dunno, maybe you want to keep it that way). Ask yourself: WWJD? If the answer you come up with reinforces what you’re doing, you seriously need to reexamine your faith, since he was famous for hanging out with the “unclean” dredges of Israelite society, not the haughtily self-righteous Testament-thumpers.