 Administrative / NNTP / 1594
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:57:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   There have always been bad parents, and there always will be bad parents. But that doesn’t release Todd from choosing to make LUGNET completely kid-safe IMO

Neither does it obligate him.

Of course not. All I’m saying is that if he wants LUGNET to be “kid-friendly”, steps need to be taken to make it that way because I think it is getting too adult-oriented in certain areas.

   Parents need to start taking paying attention to what their kids are viewing online,

Exactly. And when they do check out LUGNET and see all of the adult content flowing out of certain groups, they will choose not to let their kids go there.

   and every attempt to make the internet kid-safe only reinforces their false beliefs that there is nothing that their kids can access that is not appropriate for them.

After four rereads, I still can’t parse this point...

   Exactly. Which is why we all need to take the responsibility on ourselves to make it that way.

The TOS are as restrictive as they probably should be, and they do not prohibit LGBTs from announcing their lifestyle anymore than they prevent all of us heteros from announcing ours. Everything you keep saying suggests that you think a guy saying he has a boyfriend equates with vivid descriptions of bedroom activities, while a guy saying he has a girlfriend can be given the assumption of chastity. It’s simply not true.

This isn’t necessarily about .lgbt (although the creation of it did precipitate my current views). It has to do more with the OT groups, and the overall “adult flavor” of LUGNET (which I think is growing stronger). Mind you, I don’t object to LUGNET having a strong adult flavor, but I think that it will be at the expense of LUGNET’s kid-flavoring. Controlling access to the adult parts allows the adult parts to be more freely “adult”, and the kid parts to be better off without them.

   That’s not the world we live in.

LUGNET is not a model of the world, so any comparison isn’t valid.

   TV characters on the more conservative broadcast networks are quite often shown in scenes that imply graphic situations are going on off-camera.

LUGNET is not television, so any comparison isn’t valid.

   People on LUGNET mention their kids all the time (and, when you really think about it, that’s about the clearest indication you can give that you’ve “got some” at some point without blatantly stating it).

That is unless they’ve adopted them. Where were you going with that?

JOHN