 Administrative / NNTP / 1504
Re: 8 new subgroups of lugnet.people (Kids, Teens, Adults, Singles, Couples, Parents, Support, LGBT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:13:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Terry Prosper wrote:
Todd, I think that a heterosexual newsgroup is needed to be fair.  And if you
were to create a newsgroup for women, a newsgroup for men should be required
too.

I disagree-- it seems like heterosexual white males are by far the majority on
Lugnet. As one of them, I'm not looking for a small subgroup to call my own. I
expect you're not either. If I were a woman or gay or black? How easy would it
be to find fans that I could relate to? Probably would be much trickier. Hence,
it sounds like a seperate subgroup might be appreciated. If the desire or need
ever arose to have a male or hetero group (rather than to have one just for the
sake of having one), then I'd be all for it.

I understand that your move was to prevent trouble,

I sure hope that's not why Todd did it. Responding to threats is rarely ever a
good reason to do things.

but the way I see it, the idea of such a newsgroup here is irrelevant.  It's
out-of-topic and is potentialy as dangerous as if you had a religion-related
newsgroup implemented.

Well, really the entire lugnet.people and off-topic subgroups of LUGNET should
be gone if that's the case. And if you're here purely to read about Lego, then
you can just add lugnet.people.* and lugnet.off-topic.* to your skip-filters.
But I'm not here JUST to talk about Lego. I'm here to be a part of a community
that shares an interest in Lego. And being part of a community means there's
topics that come up that don't relate to the hobby, but to the people involved.

I've seen members bashing others for nationality reasons without any
consequences, so how will gay-bashing be handled? Will it be tolerated as
other insults I have read here? Will it be punished more severely?  If so,
how will the curators justify that one can't insult someone else on their
sexual-orientation without consequences, but they can insult people without
problem on other issues, like nationality, religion, color, etc?

I'd guess that just like everything else, it's allowed, although most likely
frowned upon. I don't think it'll be more punishable than any other insult.

I'm sure the objective is to clear Lugnet of such personnal attacks,

I don't think that's true at all-- communities have problems. They've got
arguments and fights. And it's nice to avoid them, but in reality, they really
do come up. So having a forum that has breathing room for conflict is far better
than one that doesn't. I'd hate to read personal fights at all, but far better
if they appear in lugnet.off-topic or something similar rather than
lugnet.general.

DaveE