 Administrative / NNTP / 1503
Re: 8 new subgroups of lugnet.people (Kids, Teens, Adults, Singles, Couples, Parents, Support, LGBT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Rob Hendrix wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but I think you should hold judgment for a
month
or two.

--Todd

OK I will.  But to forward a request to you, in the mean time, that is still
kind of related to this issue, - I have received numerous requests to ask
for a .women newsgroup.  Many women feel outnumbered here and there is some
real talent that we are missing out on because some women are afraid to post
in this mostly male society.

Personal views, for now, will be left out of current issue threads, but I
still see no need for homosexual or heterosexual preference to make its way
to a LEGO forum.

Todd, I think that a heterosexual newsgroup is needed to be fair.  And if you
were to create a newsgroup for women, a newsgroup for men should be required
too.

And since Lugnet is aiming to be something other than LEGO-related with these
newsgroup, I'll propose a Simpsons-fans related nwsgroup because I'd love to
talk about that.

I've stayed out of the Lavender-brick discussion because I thought it was sobad
it would never become a reality.  Like many others, I don't care about the
sexual orientations of LEGO fans.  My own personnal sexual orientation is not of
public concern either and whatever it is, I don't pose judgement on others on
that issue.  It's bad enough that the world is divided in so many ways, addind
sexual orientation is just pouring fuel on fire.  I understand that your move
was to prevent trouble, but the way I see it, the idea of such a newsgroup here
is irrelevant.  It's out-of-topic and is potentialy as dangerous as if you had a
religion-related newsgroup implemented.  But you're the boss, let's see how it
turns out.

I hope it all turns out positively.  So far, the idea has brought more problems
than anything else.  Although I salute the open-mind of members here, the risk
of having members gay-bashing others is still here.  I've seen members bashing
others for nationality reasons without any consequences, so how will gay-bashing
be handled?  Will it be tolerated as other insults I have read here?  Will it be
punished more severely?  If so, how will the curators justify that one can't
insult someone else on their sexual-orientation without consequences, but they
can insult people without problem on other issues, like nationality, religion,
color, etc?  I'm sure the objective is to clear Lugnet of such personnal
attacks, so I don't see why we need a newsgroup entirely non-Lego-related that
is,on top of that, a real bomb waiting to explode...

Thank you for your time,

Terry