 Administrative / NNTP / 1487
Re: 8 new subgroups of lugnet.people (Kids, Teens, Adults, Singles, Couples, Parents, Support, LGBT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Rob Hendrix wrote:
(Because others are afraid to speak what they REALLY think):
I'm offended and I feel as if I have been discriminated against.

Can you elaborate on how you feel discriminated against?

First of all, I'd like to put my stance on the gay issue out in the open.
We have a lesbian in our club and there NEVER are any issues.  She even
puts same-sex related scenes in her MOCs.  I DON"T CARE IF PEOPLE ARE GAY,
STRAIGHT, BLUE-EYED, LEFT-HANDED, ETC!

But some people do.

Let's turn the tables on that:  Many people couldn't care less that you
mutilate bricks.  But YOU do, and that's important.

ALL ABOVE GROUPS ARE UNSEXUALLY BIASED EXCEPT ONE!

It seemed that only one sexually-biased group was required.  Is there a
problem?

Based on the charters of these groups as I read them, lgbt people fit
wonderfully in the other 7 groups AS WELL AS any other group here on
Lugnet.

Yup!  In fact, many lgbt people may fit into the .parents and/or .couples
groups.  This is exactly the same as someone fitting into both the
.starwars group and the .space group.

Some people will fit into .parents and not into .lgbt; some people will
fit into .lgbt and not into .parents; some people will fit into both;
some people will fit into neither.

Some people will fit into both .parents and .teens!  Should those groups
be lumped together?  Clearly no.

It's about LEGO!  LUGNET IS FOR TALKING ABOUT LEGO!  But if we want to
play the gay/straight game, then the fair thing to do would be to add:

lugnet.people.hsha (group)
All about LEGO® people who happen to be heterosexual, straight,
homophobic, abstinent, etc.:  Introductions, anecdotes, neighborly
discussions, helpful advice, etc.; what it means to be a H/S/H/A
LEGO® fan; acceptance issues; finding community; etc.

I have no problems with such a group existing, assuming a genuine and
sincere need for it.

And while we're at it, let me bring religion into it.

lugnet.people.religious (group)
All about LEGO® people who happen to be religious (christian, muslim,
buddhist, etc.:  Introductions, anecdotes, neighborly
discussions, helpful advice, etc.; what it means to be a religious
LEGO® fan; acceptance issues; finding community; etc.

Ditto to this one as well.

[...] Yes, I have the right NOT to subscribe to that group or any other
group there is here (Like.off-topic.debate), but in my honest opinion,
the solution to this issue as you have presented it is going to split
lugnet-using Lego enthusiasts into 4 groups: Those who dislike the lgbt
issue having a place here, those who like having the lgbt issue here,
those that don't care, and those that don't know.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by split?

I honestly don't think the effect will be any more significant than, say,
brick mutilators vs. non-brick mutilators, people who hate blay vs. people
who don't hate blay, people who play with clone brands vs. people who don't,
etc.; and by and large, except for occasional hot threads, those "splits"
are invisible here in our daily lives.

Thanks for the separation and categorization of my sexual preference
and the sexual preference of every other person here.  That has just
made my life even better...

Rob, this isn't about separation; no one is being sent to any corner of
the community or forced to conform or segregate.  This is about making it
easier and more comfortable for people of various lifestyles to aggregate
and have good time, all in the context of LEGO.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you should hold judgment for a month
or two.

--Todd