 Administrative / NNTP / 1399
Re: Can't connect to NNTP server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:01:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Jamie Obrien wrote:
G'Day, hmm, since when have Canadians used....

You mean NNTP?  Or "G'day"?  ;]  Just about since ever for the latter.  But
it doesn't sound at all like the Auzzie version.  It's a contracted "Good Day"
but the "day" has a long a-sound, unlike for Auzzies (which is more of a
long i-sound, right?).  As for NNTP, Canada first learned how to use it in
2002, but it's not universal across the country yet  ;]

Well, you need to change the port number of your nntp client from 119 to 1119.
It's pretty easy for most clients.

That did 'er.  I was trying to do this after reading about the DoS attacks
on LUGNET, but Agent had no option to change it.  It turns out you have to
edit the INI file to change the port.

So I'm up and running now.  Honestly I was surprised to see that NNTP
has remained the only way to edit/delete webposts since the last time I
was here 2 years ago.

Thanx bunches!
KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada