 Administrative / NNTP / 1259
1258  |  1260
Subject:
Problems with Outlook Express and LUGNet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 12:48:51 GMT

Hi!

Recently i have some very strange problems with Outlook Express and the
LUGNet News server.
Newsgroups where these problems occur are:

lugnet.cad
lugnet.cad.dev
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
lugnet.cad.mlcad

This error is reproducable.

I am subscribing to one of these newsgroups above.
First 300 headers are fetched from the server. Everythings looks fine.
I choose 'Mark all read'. All messages are marked read and the newsgroup
name isn't bold anymore.
Now i choose another newsgroup and change back to the newly subscribed one.
Suddenly the newsgroups name wents bold and shows me 5 new messages...
but there aren't 5 new mssages.
(number of messages shown differs from newgroups to newsgroup. for example
cad.dev shows me 9 unread msgs)

Marking them as read again only helps until i re-choose the group again.
This is annoying since i never know if there are really new messages.

FIrst i assumed it was a problem of OE and i delete the news account and
re-created it.
I deleted the groups and recreated them. I re-indexed and compressed them.
I searched google and google groups up and down and couldnt find any user
who had the same problem, so I would like to know if that problem could be
server-side.

Any suggestions or anyone out there with the same problem?

Play well

Carsten