 Administrative / NNTP / 111
Re: Noncompliant software (was: Re: Incorrect group posting)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:56:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Now hold up a sec!  Whilst I agree with Todd, berating Benjamin over
something he has no control over won't actually accomplish anything.

Benjamin may not have control over what mailer his employer uses, but he
certainly has control over whether or not his messages appear threaded.
If he posts using software that works correctly, his messages will appear
threaded.  If he posts using software that works incorrectly, his messages
will appear broken.  I'm not berating Benjamin and I'd don't think Larry
really meant to, either -- just stating facts.

I beg to differ on this...I have NO control over whether messages appear
threaded...The software I use is MS Outlook. From this, the message goes to a
MS Exchange server. It is this that causes the problem. Unfortunately, this
piece of software is run on a server that isn't even owned by the company I
work for, but by the company that our company works for. [And I've tried
including the References header item in the past, but the server doesn't pass
it...]

Further, I believe that it has been stated that our company's policy's are
wrong...For a company that has little to no need to use the internet, I see no
problems with not having it (though I would like it). True, many companies do
allow employees to access the net from their workstations, but having that
ability in some companies doesn't mean all should do this.[1] In fact, by
giving employees access to a non-essential service [that's right...most
companies probably SHOULDN'T give internet access to workers, unless it is
100% necessary] they're promoting lower work standards, as a worker who's
using the internet unnessesarily isn't helping the company, or being
productive. [And I'm not going to quit just because I'm more-or-less cut off
from lugnet...I'll just have to be more discerning over the value I place on
lugnet [WRT the amount of time I can actually USE it] as opposed to other ways
I can "invest" the money. (no offence Todd, but if I have little chance to
make use of the site, then I can't REALLY claim I've got all that much reason
to support it further financially. (But I will try and find reasons.))]

He has stated, previously, that he has no control over what the server
admins do on their machines, and I seriously doubt he'd give up a
high-paying job just because of restrictive practices stopping him from
properly threading replies through his work address.

He also stated, previously, that he is able to post from home.  It's only when
he posts from work that things show up broken.

And I have little-to-no time to use the internet while at home...

I am quite sure, that Todd could make changes to the incoming message parser
that would enable Benjamin to post from work and appear properly threaded.
What those changes entail, however, I have no idea - it may simply be too
difficult or time-consuming for Todd to work on.

It would be a complete waste of time (although, as a programming challenge,
it could certainly be a very interesting kluge).  But the bottom line is that
it's just not worth worrying about.  It makes much more sense overall to
simply detect and reject broken junk (which should never be presented for
posting in the first place) and leave it up to the user to find a way to get
the right software that works properly.

Actually, I believe that the threading feature isn't even a Mail header item.
From what I understand, it is a NEWS headder item, and so the mail server at
work actually runs correctly providing headeer info, while most others use non-
standard mail headers...So which should be bounced from a system accepting
mail posts, the one with the incorrect header that allows threading messages,
or the one with the correct header info, and no threading?

Of course, if Benjamin would tell us where to email concerns about his work
posting style becoming disruptive to the rest of the newsgroup, and that
something should be done about it, maybe that would help things somewhat.
[...]

The only clean and proper solution is to have the server reject messages from
mailers that don't put the 'References:' header in.  I should have done this
long ago.  :-/  Benjamin is not the only person running the broken software --
I found a few odd messages from a handful of other people.  It's disasterous.

Therefore, I've more-or-less been prevented from using lugnet to post messages
[and not just replies, which I've tried to avoid as much as possible in the
past.] :(

[1] As some countries call for free trade while subsidising their own
industries/farmers, whilst others actually DO try to provide free trade and as
a result suffer at the hands of those who want everything THEIR way, without
trying to be fair...

Benjamin Whytcross
bwhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au

--Todd

[followups to .admin.nntp & .off-topic.geek]