 Administrative / NNTP / 1055
Re: Unable to connect via NNTP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 17:29:10 GMT

"Chris Magno" <cmagno@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:3CA72DAA.842705D5@rogers.com...
It does
connect, eventually, but takes about a minute or two.  My guess is that
it's trying to do an auth request to my machine, but my firewall is
blocking the request, causing the server to time out.  Just curious -
are you behind a firewall?

Yes, I am behind a "NAT box" server.  I have the same symptoms as you.
NNTP will eventually connect.  If i scan through the messages I  have no
problem (once in the system) but If I take  too long to read one message
I have to wait all over again to get to the next message.

I'm pretty sure it's not a server problem - I get very quick connections and
downloads both from home on ADSL with Outpost as my firewall and at work on
a 2Mbps leased line with a PIX. Have any of you tried running a traceroute
(tracert at the commandline on Windows) to see if there is a router delay
somewhere or if there are a lot of hops between you and the Lugnet server?

Dan