 Administrative / NNTP / 10
Re: Almost there...almost there... :-,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 02:56:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Well, I finally got my streaming news client able to reply to messages (1)
on LUGNET.

Cool!!!

It turns out I didn't need cookies after all!

...But then I vagualy remembered that this fact was mentioned in the past,
but I haven't been able to find the article.  For the sake of warm fuzzies,
does anyone know where it might be?

Well, cookies are an HTTP thing.  If your client is posting articles, I think
you'll find NTTP to be much simpler and cleaner for that.  :-)  All the HTTP
posting mechanism does is opens up a single-use temporary NNTP session from
the HTTP server to the NNTP server, IOW it's just a wrapper with extra
encoding & decoding messes to worry about.

If you send messages via HTTP, you'll have to write a custom layer to encode
the data specially for LUGNET's news-posting submission script, versus simply
opening a standard NNTP connection.  :-)

Another disadvantage of posting via HTTP is that there is no defined API for
that.  IOW, the names of the fields are subject to change without notice (not
likely, but possible if the scripts are ever reworked).

In related news, I'm almost ready to release the next revision of my client.
I just need to work out a few GUI gotchas and clean up some hard-coded
strings.  Wow, cool!  :-,

In slightly unrelated news, I *really* need a small-ish catchy name for this
app, and I frankly can't come up with anything decent.  I am
eagerly entertaining suggestions.  "Lugnetreader" is my preference, but it's
taken.  (2)  Would Java Lugnetreader ruffle any feathers?  Dan?

Hmm.  Well, hmm, I think there some things to bear in mind...  First, LUGNET
and JAVA are trademarks, so I think you'll want to seek permission to use
those before releasing a software package with one of those in the title.
Second, it's possible (although I haven't looked at the code in-depth to
confirm) that your reader might actually not be LUGNET-pecific.  LUGNET is a
community based on a software package in development with a current working
title of "Fibblesnork" (but that name isn't written in stone).  If/when all
or parts of underlying software is released, it may go out under that name
or a different name (but in any case it definitely wouldn't go out under the
LUGNET name).

Are there things along the lines of "news ticker" or "stream(er)" or "avid"
or "voracious" (just to toss out a few words) that you could incorporate?

Some more random quetsions:  What are your plans/hopes/dreams/etc. for the
use and distribution of the app?  Is it (or will it be) something that can
be launched from a web browser and run separately?  Or something that can be
launched from a web browser and run in another window?  Can it be installed
locally and then launched via

   <A HREF="file:///path/to/reader">Launch The Reader</A>

?

Suzanne just reminded me that one of her design rework drawings/diagrams a
while back for a new user-friendly LUGNET homepage had a spot for a thing to
launch a "ticker tape" type of news app.  Would you desire or allow your app
to be launched or launchable from the LUGNET homepage?

1.  But not to post new messages; i.e. starting a thread.  Which would be
trivial to implement.  But since this app is mostly reactive rather than
proactive, that is responding to items in a news stream rather than being a
full-featured news reader, should I put it in?  Arg.

Hmm, there must be a standard Java class for opening an NNTP connection...?
If you can fire up an external editor and put in the headers like 'trn' does,
it oughtta be be wicked simple and fun.  :-)

A quick-win alternative is to invoke an instance of your web browser for
composing a reply -- just point it at

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/?newsgroup:artnum

and away it goes like magic.  :-)

What I did in my client was something in-between -- I made an external program
that I could spawn as a background process with a simple commandline like
this:

   reply messagenum

Then the main reader app only needed one extra line of code to bind that
action with a keyboard key, and the reply program was a totally separate
thing.

--Todd

2.  As with anything else creative, it's the obvious choice only after
someone else comes up with it.  ;-)