 Administrative / General / 9715 (-20)
  Re: Counters (was:THE POSTING BLUES)

(...) Yes, and a high hit rate with no replies just tells you that a lot of people read your post but weren't interested enough to reply. Where's the benefit in that? -- Tony Hafner www.hafhead.com (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Counters (was:THE POSTING BLUES)

(...) A counter would only indicate the number of times a post had been chosen for reading - which can be swayed by the catchy-ness of the title, the popularity of the poster, etc. Hence the hilight button at the -end- of messages. Posts with titles (...) (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Counters (was:THE POSTING BLUES)

(...) Sorry to butt in this way, but since everyone hates me anyway -- I just don't care!!! I am mystified by these threads about how crummy Lugnet is because everyone is cross-posting stuff and everyone has to be bothered reading it, and how it is (...) (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Counters (was:THE POSTING BLUES)

(...) I think the primary problem with counters on posts is that it won't tell you much because they won't include people using NNTP. It will only count people like me that use the web interface. Eric (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Counters (was:THE POSTING BLUES)

(...) That's a really cool idea - This could allow people to see that their posts are being read, even if they don't get the response that they are looking for. Of course, counters on people's pages usually do the trick as well - you know people are (...) (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.admin.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: New LUGNET Admins

(...) Maybe :) just to see if I can though :) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New LUGNET Admins

(...) LOL! And yet you set mine up to do it? :) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New LUGNET Admins

(...) heh, probably not - I wouldn't be able to post then! I never found any reason to get my box to be able to type hebrew :) Dan (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: New LUGNET Admins

(...) Congrats! I'm sure y'all will do a great job. (Dan, can I chide you into getting hebrew posts to work? <grin>) Seriously though, all the best. -Shiri (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Spammers are harvesting here

(...) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Oddity on the Canadian ORG page.

(...) You're right, we don't. Wierd. I thought some-one had said they were going to do it. Should I just email to "admin@lugnet.com" to add it? Are we happy enough with it as is to actually get it added? (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Oddity on the Canadian ORG page.

(...) Its not that really, look at the counterpart US page... (URL) are no links to ORG websites there. The links only show up when you go down one more level to the ORG newsgroup. For example: (URL) just looked like the VLC link on the general (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Oddity on the Canadian ORG page.

(...) In the case of NALUG, it's because we're lazy. We've got a homepage at: (URL) we haven't gotten around to informing the Lugnet admin of it... James (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Oddity on the Canadian ORG page.

I am just wondering why there is a link to the VLC website from the CA org page... (URL) it isn't a mistake shouldn't all CA LUG's have a link there ;-). They do have a link on the VLC newsgroup page so that is right. Just thought it was wierd, Eric (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) I think this would be groovy, and I've got my own 0.02USD to toss in... 1. Choose a new newsgroup name carefully. My newsreader (Forte Agent) sorts my list of subscribed groups alphabetically. So "lugnet.spotlight" would get buried in the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) yah, just like that! :) now, we all have to wait two more years before anyone mentions this again! *grin* Dan (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Perhaps something like this? (URL) article is nearly two years old! Fredrik (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) yet (...) a (...) interesting idea... something like the server statistics, posting once a day to a group, listing the top stories? I think I like it :) Dan (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) This just sparked an idea... As an nntp user, the sportlights are almost invisible to me. Would it be possible to autogenerate a crosspost of some sort when a post makes the spotlight list? Just something to mull over... (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact