 Administrative / General / 95
Re: News archive/Msg. Expiration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:43:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> wrote:
When these groups are announced to the r.t.l. as a whole, will these
"beta" posts be visible?  Also, is an archive planned?  I think what I
will miss most about reading Lego newsgroups via LUGNET is no archiving
and searching of messages like Dejanews provided for r.t.l.

I imagine (and I mean that -- I'm making this up right now, based completely
on my own little universe and not on anything I've read or seen) that Todd
will eventually make some sort of web-based access to the newsgroup,
including a search funciton.

Yea, that's the idea.  The search function may not appear before articles
have to be archived/expired, but they won't be tossed out.  In the worst
case, the old articles would still be available somewhere in some raw,
non-searchable way -- maybe via HTTP or maybe here via NNTP in some kind of
archives ng...

Plan on abiding by the x-no-archive convention?

Just curious - I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want their
posts to show up in a lugnet archive, and, in fact, I regret having
used the x-no-archive header for a long time in the past.  Prevents
me from going back to dejanews and dusting off, say, my noncanonical
and incomplete list of named minifigures I used to post.

--

jthompson@teubner.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"