 Administrative / General / 9386
Re: How much to licence Lugnet technology?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:43:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steven Broughton writes:
[...]
Todd...did you build this site yourself from the ground up?

The web stuff is all from-the-ground-up, yes.  The news stuff stems from an
open-source package called CNews.

If so, do you
have any helpful tidbits that would help me create a similar site?

Recommendations:

* Use Perl5 or PHP4 for web stuff.
* Consider CNews as well as INN for NNTP stuff.
* Take an in-depth look at packages such as Meta-HTML, PHP, mod_perl, ePerl,
  embperl, etc., and see if they support your web development criteria.
* Use a UNIX-like OS (e.g., Linux, FreeBSD, or Solaris).  Avoid MS-Windows
  unless it's the only thing you have experience in.

(Keep in mind that these are personal preferences :-)

If you ever decide to open up the source code for Lugnet, let me know.  (Or
if you ever decide to make it available commercially, let me know also!)

I can't imagine making it available commercially...that goes against
everything I was ever thinking as any part of the code was developed.  The
main thing stopping me from releasing the code as open-source right now is,
for example, what would happen if TLC had a copy of it?  As copyright owner
of the code the site runs (except for the OS and CNews, of course), and as
co-owner of the site itself, I have a vested interest and bias personally
in keeping it as unique as possible from other LEGO-related sites.  I don't
really know what the future of the code base is.  That's something I need to
decide over the next few months.

--
Todd S. Lehman | LUGNET Admin <todd@lugnet.com>