 Administrative / General / 9313
Re: How much to licence Lugnet technology?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:46:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Alex Farlie writes:

<snip>

I know Todd had at one point thought that he might release the underlying
tech, but I suspect (speculate, guess, seem to recall, made up statements,
take your pick) that the code at this point is too customised to just be
plopped in place without any twiddling/customization, or ongoing
maintenance. He can confirm or deny that, of course, I'm just guessing.

If searchable forums/groups is what you want, look into UBB (Ultimate
Bulletin Board) from Infopop. http://www.infopop.com/

It's not the greatest (I can think of a lot of ways to improve it) but it
does the job and a lot of sites seem to use it. 200 bucks seems to be enough
for a license. It's been around in one form or another for 5 years or so, so
it's fairly well liked I guess.

Also consider the slashdot software.
http://www.slashdot.org/code.shtml
It's GPL so it's free but I think you need a Linux box to run it. (which
shows how much I dug into it, I could be all wet, who knows. Do your own
research)

Hope that helps. Those are two possible solutions out of a bajillion, I am sure.

++Lar