 Administrative / General / 8830
Re: Todd, can you explain the search function again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:49:45 GMT

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:22:53 GMT, "richard marchetti"
<blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote:

You should get this:
  http://news.lugnet.com/?q=brad+justus+%3C10+%3E10

Well, from the main Lugnet news page I got:
   http://news.lugnet.com/?q=brad+justus+%3C10%3E10

OK, I'm guessing that you typed the <10 and the >10 right next to each
other rather than as separate "words," ya?  My parser doesn't expect
the < and the > to occur in the same word.  I'll need to fix that
before you can put them so close together.  If you type

   <10 >10

(note the space character between the "0" and the ">") then what
happens?

There's also this, which isn't linked in yet:
   http://www.lugnet.com/help/search/news/

It's bookmarked now -- many thanks, Todd.

Anything in there that you find confusing or incomplete?  I wrote it
in a hurry.

I know the previous search was suspected of causing you system-wide problems
but the cool thing about it was being able to search for posts made by
particular individuals and getting back those individual's more recent posts
near the top of the returned result set.  That was hella cool!  And I
*REALLY* wish we could get something like that back again without causing
you the other hassles at the same time.

I'm gonna add a "re-sort by" thingy that'll allow the results to be
displayed by chronology or by relevance.

I'll cross my fingers, but not hold
my breath (recognizing that you have a life and other probably more pressing
matters). Please, keep in mind the idea of an author search of some kind if
you ever get back to fiddling with the search function again.

I appreciate your speedy reply, BTW.

I can't give you a speedy reply during the day, but now that I've got
a laptop I'm writing this while I'm on the bus home from work.  (I'll
upload the message when I get home.  :-)

--Todd