 Administrative / General / 8825
Re: Todd, can you explain the search function again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:16:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
I have read the search function described at:
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8613
but I can't see that the instructions there work.  For example: when
searching "brad justus <10 >10", without the quotes, what ideally should I
get back as a result set?

You should get this:

   http://news.lugnet.com/?q=brad+justus+%3C10+%3E10

It doesn't see anything posted by Brad himself, so it starts with posts
mentiong his name posted by others.

What I got was stuff from about a year ago.

What URL appeared, and from what area (category) did you initiate the
search?

Is that what it's supposed to do?

I'd have to see the exact URL that you were shown after you clicked the
Search button.

I supposed that if Brad had posted
something, I'd see it -- if he had *not* posted something, I'd get zero
search results back.  No?

No, you'd get things contain the word Brad and the word Justus.

Did I miss an update to the search function and the corresponding
description of it's use?

There's also this, which isn't linked in yet:

   http://www.lugnet.com/help/search/news/

Without offense, you do realize the search
function kinda sucks now, right?

None taken.  Thanks for the feedback.

--Todd