 Administrative / General / 8811
Re: Problems contacting me ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:55:31 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Brian Williams writes:
Everyone,

Larry made me aware today that Ameritech, my ISP, has been bouncing some
emails addressed to me.  Until I get a backup email (or possibly a new ISP)
can anyone else who has tried reaching me recently but been unable to please
post a response to this message. (Sorry Todd, I hope this chain won't be long)

-BMW

Folks... You might post to off-topic.test or some such... that will reduce
the noise level in .trains. I set FUT there for this post.

Hmm, I just came up with a few ideas since we regularly see these types
of things.

The first would be lugnet.people.contact-me where people can post "hey,
where is Fred, we were in the middle of a deal and I haven't got an
e-mail in over a week" or "I'm having problems with my e-mail, please
contact me here". Of course some of this activity is probably acceptable
for lugnet.people.

The second suggestion is a page hanging off of the membership area where
you can post a contact notice for another member. Then here is the neat
(and hard part), whenever that member is logged into the web interface,
Lugnet would place a button in the upper right corner of any window.
This button leads the person to a page listing all the contact notices
(ordered by date). By placing the button on as many Lugnet pages as
possible, it would be highly likely that anyone who is using Lugnet will
be likely to see it (even if you don't use the web interface for news,
you're likely to use the set database or something).

A third idea for the other side is to provide a field in the members
information for an "availability" notice", which since the members page
is probably where you'd put the button to "add a contact notice", anyone
going to do so would see the "availability notice". Then when you are
going to be travelling for several days, you can mention that and folks
will know that you haven't just disappeared (yet...).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com