 Administrative / General / 8698
Re: To LUGNET administrators - BRLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:34:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Felipe Coury writes:
What are you parsing?

I didn't knew the existence of the http://www.lugnet.com/pause/lists.html
website, so I came up with a VBScript that uses a generic HTML parser that I
wrote (for metasearches websites) to extract data from the Sets Guide and
put it into an Access database. The result (very poor designed yet) can be
seen at http://brlug.hopto.org.

Please don't run scripts of any kind that fetch HTML pages automatically
without first obtaining permission from the site's administrator or owner.
It can be tempting to resort to such things, but fetching pages rapidly can
cause a terrible load on a webserver, depending on what you're fetching.
Crawlers or spiders can pose a particular mess.

BTW, what user agent string is your fetcher sending?

--Todd