 Administrative / General / 8177
Re: line breaks in my messages, why does this happen ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 05:12:42 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ray Sanders writes:
When I enter a message thru the web interface, then click preview, the raw
text (in the edit window) comes back with hard line breaks at the end of
each line.  Why does this happen ?

Because the form says

   <TEXTAREA NAME="Body" COLS=79 ROWS=20 MAXLENGTH=65000 WRAP=HARD>

It's the WRAP=HARD part that asks for the hard line breaks.

In case it matters, I'm using MacOS 8.1, Netscape 4.5.

This also caused a URL I put in to line break. You can see this at...
<http://news.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=1679>

Am I doing something wrong?

No, but I think your web browser is.  With other browsers, WRAP=HARD only
applies at word breaks (i.e. spaces), meaning that really big long words
more than 79-80 columns -- like URLs, for example -- shouldn't be broken
when you browser sends the text.  OTOH, maybe the browsers that work are the
ones that are broken.

One possible solution to the URL problem would be
if the edit area was wider (although I suspect that this could break people
on a screen smaller than 17").

Actually, screen size doesn't matter much, it's screen resolution (for
example 1024x768 or 640x480) that matters.  But along those general lines,
one possible solution would be to leave out the WRAP=HARD line.  Unfortunately,
then what happens is that you have to hit Enter (or Return) manaully and if
you don't, your text area scrolls.

What does Netscape 4.6 or 4.7 or MSIE 5.x on the Mac do?  I don't think it's
supposed to be breaking URLs onto two lines without your permission.  And it's
not something the server does.

--Todd