 Marketplace / Theory / 1679
Re: "Self Insurance" on packages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
<major snippage>

Definitely add-ons (service or otherwise) are a good market, at least in
some areas (though I've seen some analysis from the games industry [both
paper and computer] that indicate that game add-ons are not cash cows).
I doubt the insurance sticker has that much of an effect on pilferage.
The class of goods which invite pilferage is pretty small. An insider is
at a great risk of discovery if they take very much (which probably
relegates some pilferage to the class of goods people won't be likely to
complain about - I wonder how many x-rated magazines go missing as
compared to say National Geographic?), and certainly is more likely to
be caught if they pilfer goods which are tracked in any way ("gee, the
insurance claims from Podunk You Post Office are 50% higher than any
other Post Office, I wonder what's going on...").

Check this out...
<http://new.usps.com/cgi-bin/uspsbv/scripts/content.jsp?A=B&D=22812&K=B&U=X&U1=
B&U2=H> (and I can't get the url to post without something breaking the line)
scroll down and read that part titled 'Insurance'. Looks like the USPS wants/is-
about to up the price for basic 'unnumbered' (up to $50) parcel insurance to
$1.35. I guess they really like being in the insurance business :/

Delivery Comp is going from 0.35 to 0.40. More good news.

Ray Sanders
lugnetter #124