 Administrative / General / 8185
Re: line breaks in my messages, why does this happen ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:14:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ray Sanders writes:
When I enter a message thru the web interface, then click preview, the raw
text (in the edit window) comes back with hard line breaks at the end of
each line.  Why does this happen ?

Because the form says

  <TEXTAREA NAME="Body" COLS=79 ROWS=20 MAXLENGTH=65000 WRAP=HARD>

It's the WRAP=HARD part that asks for the hard line breaks.

This also caused a URL I put in to line break. You can see this at...
<http://news.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=1679>

Am I doing something wrong?

No, but I think your web browser is.  With other browsers, WRAP=HARD only
applies at word breaks (i.e. spaces), meaning that really big long words
more than 79-80 columns -- like URLs, for example -- shouldn't be broken
when you browser sends the text.  OTOH, maybe the browsers that work are the
ones that are broken.

One possible solution to the URL problem would be
if the edit area was wider (although I suspect that this could break people
on a screen smaller than 17").

What does Netscape 4.6 or 4.7 or MSIE 5.x on the Mac do?  I don't think it's
supposed to be breaking URLs onto two lines without your permission.  And it's
not something the server does.

--Todd
Doesn't the server do it because you have told it WRAP=HARD. I think I have
always had this problem posting URLs from the Web interface even before you
did your preview posting change. I post about 95% through the web interface.

Here is a web-interface post from June where the line break was automatically
entered at the ? in the URL <http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=6089>

This post was broken at the 79th character and was sent in through email
<http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=6123>

Here is a test post I just did through the web-intterface showing broken URLs.
<http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/test/?n=2388>

I use IE5.x for my browser and Outlook 2000 for mail.

BEN GATRELLE