 Administrative / General / 8183
Re: line breaks in my messages, why does this happen ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:26:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ray Sanders writes:
One possible solution to the URL problem would be
if the edit area was wider (although I suspect that this could break people
on a screen smaller than 17").

Actually, screen size doesn't matter much, it's screen resolution (for
example 1024x768 or 640x480) that matters.  But along those general lines,
one possible solution would be to leave out the WRAP=HARD line.  Unfortunately,
then what happens is that you have to hit Enter (or Return) manaully and if
you don't, your text area scrolls.

Let me try to explain this differently: in the browser window that I am looking
at right now, the edit box for this lugnet message takes up about the left-most
2/3 of the window. The right 1/3 of the window (between the edit area scroll bar
and the main window scroll bar) is blank white space. Other things (like the
gray disclaimer under the window) are text flowing the entire width of the
window. The light blue 'header' also spans the entire width, but not the edit
box.

The second part of the situation. As I type this message, all the words word-
flow from line to line without any extraneous hard returns. Only the returns
that I explicitly type are present. Once I do a 'Preview', every line has a
hard-return (middle of paragraph, middle of sentence, etc). Its almost like the
browser inserted them exactly where the WYSWIG line breaks appeared on the
screen as I typed the message (even though I put no returns in those places).
Once I do a 'preview', I have to manually remove the hard-returns if I want to
make changes, otherwise the paragraph/line runs look odd.

What does Netscape 4.6 or 4.7 or MSIE 5.x on the Mac do?  I don't think it's
supposed to be breaking URLs onto two lines without your permission.  And it's
not something the server does.

I don't know. I do not have those versions. I have tried to D/L 4.7 three or
four times (long DL on a 26K connection). Each time the DL went to 100% and then
never finished. The same thing happened using Netscape 4.5 or Fetch 3.0.3. I
would like to get 4.7, but so far have been unable to do so.

--Todd