 Administrative / General / 8128
Re: Todd! Admin and owner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:17:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
<snip>

Like I said in the other thread, elitism, and the notion that some people's
words ought to carry more weight in the contexts where they are known to be
experts, are, IMHO, good things. As long as the elitism, and the
acknowledgement of who to listen to, is meritocracy based and not clique
based, that is.

A question, though, and I am not a social scientist and thus am out of my
depth... Is a certain amount of this sort of sense (that not everyone joins
immediately and stays forever) actually normal and healthy group dynamics?

Does LUGNET as a whole tend to overanalyse itself?

Is THAT question itself symptomatic of overanalysis? :-)

I dunno. To a certain extent, as fascinated as I am about communities, I just
want to build, and talk about what I built and TLC and stuff. Blue train doors
available in bulk. Whodathunkit?

++Lar

I'm not a social scientist, too, but I say yes to the first question.
Maybe I take the word elitist as different one, but I can see that we
are at similar points on the subject. I already throw some words on it
(1) but in brief, I believe leadership and popularity of some people
above the others is a natural and healthy thing for any given community,
provided that the leadership and popularity is given naturally.

Selçuk

(1) http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6658