 Administrative / General / 8126
Re: Todd! Admin and owner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:02:40 GMT

<snip>
My professional opinion is I'm concerned that the arguments of the past 36
hours have been more about Matthew and his continued presence or non-presence
and less about the underlying issues he was trying to raise.
<snip>

Todd,

I don't have a heck of a lot of time but in general I will say this as to
Matthew's concerns.

1.  As far as TLC's fair play rules I could care less and I personally would
rather follow them when they do seem to be unnecessary than to be a rebel about
it.  I think the disclamers are needed for sites like LUGNET, Brickshelf, and
the LTC's and LUG's.  For personal sites I think it is a bit silly to have to
have a disclaimer but I am not going to blow up about it.

2.  James Jessiman.  Well Matthew overstepped his bounds here for sure but I
can see in a more simplistic sense where he is comming from.  In one sense it
seems that the whole CAD community should owe everything to James and that
ultimately all credit should go back to James.  That isn't fair to the rest of
the CAD community.  I think it is fine to have a small memorial for him
somewhere but I don't think it is necessary to mention him so much.  He created
a great program but that program is outdated.  His part authoring is a greater
thing but without the work of everyone in the CAD community keeping it going
where would it be?  I think James was great but I also don't need to be
reminded of it on a regular basis.

3.  I guess this is best described as Eliteism.  I think there is a fair
amount of Eliteism here but I also don't think that is a bad thing in general.
There is only one case of Eliteism that bothered me and that is not related to
LUGNET other than people posting about it.  I don't really want to get into a
discussion about it publicly so I won't say what it is/was.  I do think that
with LUGNET however people are sometimes discouraged from their personal
projects if something similar exists allready and that is unfortunate.  As far
as Matthew wanting to do something like Brickshelf with current sets that is
just asking for trouble although I think people here are mistaken when they say
that it could be the end of Brickshelf if he does it.  Kevin is doing things
right and to the rules laid out by TLC so I can't see them killing Brickshelf
just because someone else didn't follow the rules.

4.  Glue and Painting.  I don't see where Matthew is comming from here.  I
think he is being silly.  I have seen plenty of people paint and glue LEGO and
I don't see big uproars about it.

5.  I also don't know what he is talking about in terms of MOC's.  I think he
is being silly here too.

Now from my other posts you can probably tell where I stand in terms of
Matthew's posting privilages.  The only thing I will add here is that if people
are threatining to leave LUGNET if you don't ban Matthew I find that sad and
irresponsible on their parts.  It puts an unfair additional weight on your
shoulders.  I will not leave one way or another and personally I think if
people want to try and force your hand then you/we probably don't need them
anyway.  You do what you feel is right.  In this case this should be your
decision and LUGNET should not be turned into a democracy for this case.

If Matthew violated the TOS then ban him.  If the main concern is what he has
on his site I hope he isn't banned until he violates the TOS.  Given that it
seems he privately threatened you however that probably gives you the right to
TOS him.  Don't get me wrong I don't think I like Matthew I just don't like the
reasoning I am seeing for banning him.

Eric Kingsley