 Administrative / General / 7664
Re: Loading of Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:42:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I was doing some stress-testing for about a minute around 3:25 a.m. EST.
I ran 20 copies of something that hammered away on some files and mutexes.
The load average shot up to about 11.  Above 10, the "temporarily • unavailable"
message is triggered.  The limit of 10 is emperical and could probably be
raised to 20 or 50 without hurting things.  It's mainly there to prevent new
web processes from starting up if things are squiffy.

Just for fun, here's a graph showing the load average logged once per minute.

Which is interesting! ...but fairly unreadable via the web interface unless i
paste all the text into a monospaced editor. :-)

I'm not sure there's a good solution to that short of extending FTX capability
to all posts or something equally hard to implement and confusing to users.
UNLESS.. how hard would it be to let the user request to view the post
(another button somewhere ??) in monospace?

Using the "View raw message" link (just above the "Reply" icon) will show
you the message in monospace.

I'd rather not see FTX allowed in posts, because newsreaders won't know
what to do with it.  The web interface is very nice, but I still prefer
Forte Agent.

Steve