 Administrative / General / 7659
Re: Loading of Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:40:09 GMT

Wow! I just got the following message on trying to do something on the
website:

"Server temporarily unavailable due to heavy load. Please try again in a few
minutes. "

has this been happening to other people? I saw it once before a few weeks
back but didn't think too much of it then.

This is neat and worrisome at the same time, I guess.

I was doing some stress-testing for about a minute around 3:25 a.m. EST.
I ran 20 copies of something that hammered away on some files and mutexes.
The load average shot up to about 11.  Above 10, the "temporarily unavailable"
message is triggered.  The limit of 10 is emperical and could probably be
raised to 20 or 50 without hurting things.  It's mainly there to prevent new
web processes from starting up if things are squiffy.

--Todd