 Administrative / General / 7450
Re: FS/FT: OLD and NEW SETS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:32:00 GMT

"Shiri Dori" <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Fz360C.D9t@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
People will be that way, and it is truly unfortunate.  My running joke • with
AFOLs is 'everyone from the internet is an axe murderer, in fact, I come
home from 'fests with a bloody axe in my trunk too.' :)

<grin>
Yup, I remember that'n at the Brickfest, thank goodness that was the • second
time I met you so I wasn't as scared as I would've been otherwise. You're • a
scary guy, Tim! <grin, duck and run>

...But prolly not as scary as someone joining the IDF in the fall <grin,
duck, grab bulletproof vest, run> :)

But in reality,
internet meetings are no less safe than classified ads, or if you want to • go
there, video dating services.

Heck, they aren't even less safe than going out to a party/bar/pub and • meeting
people you don't know... you only live once, of course one has to be • cautious,
but how cautious can you be?...

Exactly.  People are people are people, they come in all different types,
but for the most part active members of society aren't the type who would
cause intentional harm to another.  That's getting into the fringe and
unless someone is good at putting on an act (which MANY are), you will
probably know or have indications when you are nearing such danger.

(I met my bf right here on lugnet... and IIRC Todd and Suz met thru their
pages as well...)

Yup.  I've had my fair share of an internet relationship, even so far as to
meeting the person on a trip earlier this year - split between AFOLs and her
family.  Still dunno where its going though....

I've probably met 75 people from Lugnet/RTL in person over the past year • and
a half, and I could say that I would not feel uncomfortable with most, if
not all of them.

I can't claim to have met that many, unfortunately, but I'd say I met at • least
30-35 over the past year. I had a great time with them, and I'm still • hoping
for some get-togethers when I get back to the U.S. in the fall.

Of course!  We'll definitely have fests out there, and I gotta play Brikwars
sometime....
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114